Principal Duties and Accountabilities (*Essential Functions)
- Provide assistance and service as requested by Production Supervision and Personnel, Process Engineering, Product Service and Q. Supervisor for the Control and Handling of Non-conforming raw material, work in-process, finished or returned product. Tasks and responsibilities may include, but not limited to the following:
- Determine defect seriousness / classification through referencing defect classification list, obtaining technical opinion, processing defects through downstream operations, submitting defects for ballistics test and/or Chem Lab evaluation.
- Identify and determine the defect frequency through sample inspection of suspect containers per established guidelines and/or procedures.
- Tag and segregate non-conforming material.
- Document the non-conforming material in the Non-conforming Material PC Database, attaching all pertinent information / data and e-mail the non-conforming material notice to appropriate / designated plant personnel. When held material has been properly taken care of, the information is to be recorded and the hold closed.
- Assist in determining N/C material disposition through referencing defect disposition protocol list, obtaining technical advice or designate it for the Material Review Board.
- Sample inspect non-conforming material after salvage and/or rework.
- Perform periodic stock checks on held material that are still open and issue follow-up report on holds that can not be accounted for.
- Assist in determining the source or root cause of quality problems, which may include checking; in-coming raw materials, components, up-stream work-in process and/or machine quality output, gage problems, Process Record, product drawing or procedure discrepancies, and/or other process problems.
- Perform audits on finished pack product according to procedure and established schedule. In-put audit results in Pack Stock Audit PC database and e-mail report. Summary information is used in the Plant's Quality Report issued to Plant Management and provides quality levels and trends of product in the individual plant manufacturing areas.
- Perform sample and/or 100% inspection and/or tests on components / products for visual, dimensional and/or mechanical properties, as directed by Q. Engineer / Supervisor. Record and report inspection / test results manually or through the use of a computer. Tasks may include;
- Incoming raw material (i.e. purchased bullets, plated bullets, etc.)
- First Article samples
- RD Trial & Pilot, new equipment or experimental runs on work-in process or products
- Competitive product audits
- Customer contract bid or lot samples of raw materials, work in-process or finished product. (i.e. Law Enforcement, Military, Proof House, Grand American, etc.)
- Product designated for special use (i.e. drop test shells, etc.).
- Process / machine capability studies
- Process / machine audits (i.e. production 100% inspection points, carton gluing)
- Audit compliance to documented procedures at various stages of production and report findings.
- Maintain Production's and Quality's Process Record books, which includes updating with new and/or revised records and replacing worn / damaged pages, plastic covers and/or binders.
- Provide assistance in the management of the automated quality data collection system (ie. GageTalker or other SPC software), which may include; training production personnel, simple troubleshooting and monitoring production checks.
- Perform other Quality related tasks as assigned by Supervisor.
- The following lists the basic knowledge and/or skills that are required to effectively perform the principle / essential job responsibilities noted above.
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, work instructions, procedures, process records, operating and maintenance instructions, product and packaging drawings, specification sheets, production logs and sampling tables.
- Perform basic math using fractions and decimals and includes calculating proportions, percentages, sample average and range. Apply and use basic statistical concepts, shop formulas, metric system and conversion factors.
- Know the measurement and gage terminology, techniques, proper use and care of fixed gages, micrometers, dial / digital indicators and calipers, gage and weigh standards and weigh scales. Have a basic understanding of the gage tolerance and capabilities and causes of common measurement errors. Be able to select the appropriate measuring instrument for the task.
- Perform checks and/or test using force gages, optical comparator, metal hardness tester and a microscope.
- Know the plant's general system for control and calibration of inspection, measuring and test equipment.
- Know product, component and raw material nomenclature, terminology, quality and ballistics characteristics and be familiar with the manufacturing operations and production's quality check procedures.
- Understand and use appropriate sampling techniques and plans / tables (i.e. ANSI/ASQ Z1.4, etc.).
- Possess a basic understanding of the general operation and use of computers, MS Excel, MS Word, MS Outlook, Non-conforming Material Database and GageTalker programs.
- Write routine reports and correspondence and communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) with peers, operating and technical personnel and supervision.
- Maintain hard copy and/or computer files of reports, notices and data.
- Collect, summarize and perform basic data analysis, which includes the following;
- Record data manually, on collection devices and/or through a computer.
- Perform basic data analysis such as generating averages, maximum, minimum, range, standard deviations, defect frequency, pareto and capability analysis and determine proportion outside of specifications.
- Provide written and/or computer generated summaries/reports of work, analysis and results.
- Possess a good working knowledge of the Plant's Quality system and be effective in its application.
- Apply common sense in carrying out written / verbal instructions / requests, prioritizing tasks and follow-up on problems / situations with minimum supervision. Deal with problems involving several variables and apply logic to find an acceptable solution.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- An Associate Degree in a technical field, or one (1) or more years of college with acceptable credit courses in mathematics and one (1) or more years work experience in an applied technical position, or a minimum of a High School education with two (2) or more years work experience as a Technician, Operator, or in an applied technical position.
- Successfully pass required standardized tests and Quality Auditor's test.
- Possess a basic understanding of the general operation and use of computers.
- Possess a basic understanding of spread sheet software (i.e. Microsoft Excel) and word processing software (i.e. Microsoft Word) and their use.
We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including: medical and dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401K, PTO, tuition reimbursement, gear discounts and the ability to add value to an exciting mission!
Our Postings are not intended for distribution to or use in any jurisdiction, country or territory where such distribution or use would violate local law or would subject us to any regulations in another jurisdiction, country or territory. We reserve the right to limit our Postings in any jurisdiction, country or territory.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veteran/Disabled
About Vista Outdoor
Vista Outdoor Inc. is a leading global designer, manufacturer and marketer of consumer products in the outdoor sports and recreation markets including Bushnell, Giro, CamelBak, Federal, Bell, Remington, and many more!
Vista employs over 5,000 employees worldwide and has diverse portfolio well-recognized brands that provide a range of performance-driven, high-quality and innovative products, including sporting ammunition, outdoor cooking accessories, ebikes, bike accessories and helmets, outdoor sports optics and golf rangefinders.
Our Purpose: To be known as a passionate outdoor company with the brands, products and culture that unite people around a shared love and responsibility for the outdoors.
Our Vision: To build powerhouse brands that empower people to achieve their goals and live their best outdoor lives.