Plans and manages the utilization of the Ballistics facilities, equipment, materials, material handling and personnel to develop, evaluate, test, and the disposition of ammunition by performing the following duties;
Principal Duties and Accountabilities for the Ballistic Supervisor (*Essential Functions)
- Oversee and manage the day-to-day operations of the Ballistics Lab, including personnel assignments and development, special project assignments, approval of ammunition and equipment purchases, and accounting for the employee time and vacations.
- Perform periodic employee performance evaluations, conduct congratulatory or disciplinary interviews, and provide general counseling or guidance as required.
- Coordinate training of employees.
- Recommends and/or implements methods for improving worker efficiency and reducing waste of materials and utilities such as restricting job duties, reorganizing workflow, relocating workstations and equipment.
- Confers with management and engineering staff to implement plans and recommendations.
- Initiate and implement cost improvements in products, processes, and work methods, including capital projects.
- Provide ballistics support and services for manufacturing and other engineering groups.
- Ensure the schedule production and certification of new SAAMI ammunition lots. Oversee or conduct “Round Robin” Testing of current SAAMI Reference lots in concert with the Ballistics Engineer and technicians.
- Shoot firearms of all types and calibers to evaluate ammunition performance. Member of various Material Review Boards.
- Coordinate the safe conduct of non-standard test requests from Customer Service, R&D, Process Engineering, Lonoke MRB Groups, and engage with the other VISTA ammunition factories as required.
- Coordinate the Grand American testing protocol along with the Ballistics Engineering testing protocol during manufacturing, including field certification testing.
- Dispositioning or arranging for the disposition of material through the Material Review Board.
- Mange non-conformance material data base, status, disposition, closure, etc. for all Ballistic Holds.
- Manage the Drop Test throughput and schedule in coordination with the Primer Supervisors.
- Manage and schedule weekend support (overtime) for all production units including primer manufacturing.
- Approve payroll for the Ballistics Department, including payroll discrepancies and approval of Personal Time Off (PTO) for the Ballistics Department.
- Manage staffing the Ballistics Department including employees interviews as needed and the completion of the hiring process.
- Maintain lock & key inventory of the department.
- Works in a safe and orderly manner at all times. Obeys plant, department and area rules and regulations and proactively encourages other team members to do so.
- Obtains, maintains and wears or uses all necessary safety equipment as directed
- Attends shift, department and plant meetings as required.
- Maintains and orders ballistic operating supplies.
NOTE: This list presents only the principal duties of the position and is not intended to be comprehensive. Other duties and
responsibilities may be assigned as dictated by the business needs and conditions. As an essential function of the job, good
attendance is required.
Educational Skills and Experience
- Perferred Bachelor’s degree (BS) in engineering, engineering technology, mathematics/statistics discipline from an accredited or nationally recognized college or university. Degrees in management or other technical disciplines or sciences may be considered for candidates possessing appropriate work experience or a combined work experience of at least 7 years and a 2 year Assocates (AA) degree in one of the above disciplines may be excepted.
- Must pass the VISTA Leadership course for succession.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Knowledge of SAP/MAX and MS office a plus.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals.
- Ability to effectively present information to all disciplines of the organization.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Must successfully pass a through criminal background to comply with BATF regulations.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively communicate for training employees to operate ballistics measuring systems.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Create and maintain Ballistics Work Instructions
- Assist Ballistics Shift Leader, testers, and equipment technician with daily issues
- Provide backup assistance for the ballistics Equipment Technician, Shift Leader, Ballistics Testers.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable challenged individuals to perform the essential functions provided this accommodation does not adversely affect other employees.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; extreme heat; explosives and vibration.
- Eye protection in the form of approved safety glasses with side shields or approved safety goggles is required.
- Approved steel-toe safety shoes are required.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, outdoor weather conditions; toxic or caustic chemicals and extreme cold.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually extremely loud and requires hearing protection to be worn in the work area.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Vision correctable to 20/20 with normal color vision, depth perception and peripheral vision.
- Ability to stand or sit for up to 3 hours at a time.
- Ability to occasionally kneel, crouch, bend or extend reach as required to perform tasks.
- Ability to lift and/or pull up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to ascend and descend stairs and ladders.
- Ability to grasp and feel small parts with both hands.
- Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less.)
- Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), to include color, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Must be able to physically hold and fire handguns, rifles, and shotguns off-hand or off-shoulder.
We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including: medical and dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401K, PTO, tuition reimbursement, gear discounts and the ability to add value to an exciting mission!
Our Postings are not intended for distribution to or use in any jurisdiction, country or territory where such distribution or use would violate local law or would subject us to any regulations in another jurisdiction, country or territory. We reserve the right to limit our Postings in any jurisdiction, country or territory.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veteran/Disabled
About Vista Outdoor
Vista Outdoor Inc. is a leading global designer, manufacturer and marketer of consumer products in the outdoor sports and recreation markets including Bushnell, Giro, CamelBak, Federal, Bell, Remington, and many more!
Vista employs over 5,000 employees worldwide and has diverse portfolio well-recognized brands that provide a range of performance-driven, high-quality and innovative products, including sporting ammunition, outdoor cooking accessories, ebikes, bike accessories and helmets, outdoor sports optics and golf rangefinders.
Our Purpose: To be known as a passionate outdoor company with the brands, products and culture that unite people around a shared love and responsibility for the outdoors.
Our Vision: To build powerhouse brands that empower people to achieve their goals and live their best outdoor lives.