This position supports manufacturing operations by installing and repairing industrial and commercial heating and refrigeration, ventilation, and humidification systems, compressors, and vacuum pumps according to blueprints and engineering specifications, using knowledge of heating, refrigeration, structural layout, and function and design components, in a safe and efficient manner.
Principal Duties and Accountabilities (*Essential Functions)
- Designs and drafts, fabricates, assembles, and tests refrigeration and heating systems, ventilation, cooling units, compressors, or environmental control systems and the components included in the systems, for proper operation and safety according to blueprints, drawings, sketches, specifications, and state and/or local codes.
- Researches and determines location, size, capacity, type of control units, type of components such as compressor, condenser, expansion tank, valves, tubing, heating unit, or boiler required to meet the specified needs of the job.
- Inspects and measures building to determine airflow requirements, so plan of ductwork and control systems can be designed.
- Prepares bids for jobs and Appropriation Requests, including estimating labor, obtaining information and price quotes on materials, components, etc. from equipment manufacturers. Locates and suggests new equipment suppliers as needed. Provides feedback to department supervisors concerning bids, suggestions for equipment and systems, etc.
- Mounts components in specified areas, according to plan or design, and state and/or local code. Connects components with piping, using methods dependent upon type of system being installed.
- Purges system of contaminants and/or air and moisture, charges or pressurizes system, and checks integrity of system.
- Drain, capture and properly dispose of refrigerants and fluids from damaged, removed, or obsolete units per site Environmental policy.
- Tests system throughout, checking for leaks or proper operation. Compares test results to specifications.
- Maintains, troubleshoots, evaluates, and repairs existing systems to prevent future problems. Researches ways to update or rework existing equipment and antiquated systems, as needed.
- Insulates units as needed, to conserve energy and save money.
- Welds, brazes, and silver solders to insure closed, leak free systems. Assembles components, threads pipes and connector, and installs hangers using a variety of hand and power tools.
- Maintains parts inventory, ensuring proper amounts of stock items are available. Prepares requisition for additional parts, and sends to the supervisor for signature.
- Assists maintenance personnel in moving equipment, welding, carpentry, fabrication, mechanical work, etc. as assigned and as workload permits.
- Keeps work area cleaned and organized.
- Responds to emergency calls after the regularly scheduled shift ends or on weekends, when available.
- Trains new employees to the department/area as assigned.
- Performs any other duties as assigned.
NOTE: This list presents only the principal duties of the position and is not intended to be comprehensive. Other duties and
responsibilities may be assigned as dictated by the business needs and conditions. As an essential function of the job, good
attendance is required.
Educational Skills and Experience
- Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently.
- Must be able to read, write, and perform advanced math calculations.
- Must have good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be able to learn to drive a forklift safely in 30 days.
- Must have a good safety record.
- Must have good housekeeping and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently without continual supervision.
- Must hold an EPA Refrigerant license (effective 7/92) Type 608 Certification (universal).
- Must be current on EPA updates
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable challenged individuals to perform the essential functions provided this accommodation does not adversely affect other employees.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; extreme heat; explosives and vibration. Eye protection in the form of approved safety glasses with side shields or approved safety goggles is required. Approved steel-toe safety shoes are required. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; toxic or caustic chemicals and extreme cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and requires hearing protection to be worn in the work area.
- Vision correctable to 20/20 with normal color vision, depth perception and peripheral vision
- Ability to repeatedly lift and move up to 25 lbs. unaided
- Ability to stand or sit for up to 3 hours at a time
- Ability to frequently kneel, crouch, bend or extend reach as required to perform tasks
- Ability to ascend and descend stairs
- Ability to grasp and feel small parts
- Note: One or more of the Physical Demands may be waived to enable challenged individuals the opportunity of employment provided this accommodation does not adversely affect other employees.
We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including: medical and dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401K, PTO, tuition reimbursement, and the ability to add value to an exciting mission!
Our Postings are not intended for distribution to or use in any jurisdiction, country or territory where such distribution or use would violate local law or would subject us to any regulations in another jurisdiction, country or territory. We reserve the right to limit our Postings in any jurisdiction, country or territory.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veteran/Disabled
About Vista Outdoor
Vista Outdoor Inc. is a leading global designer, manufacturer and marketer of consumer products in the outdoor sports and recreation markets including Bushnell, Giro, CamelBak, Federal, Bell, Remington, and many more!
Vista employs over 5,000 employees worldwide and has diverse portfolio well-recognized brands that provide a range of performance-driven, high-quality and innovative products, including sporting ammunition, outdoor cooking accessories, ebikes, bike accessories and helmets, outdoor sports optics and golf rangefinders.
Our Purpose: To be known as a passionate outdoor company with the brands, products and culture that unite people around a shared love and responsibility for the outdoors.
Our Vision: To build powerhouse brands that empower people to achieve their goals and live their best outdoor lives.