Materials Engineer Intern-Hevi-SHOT Ammunition
- Assist in research and material selection for all sustainability initiatives of products involving plastics, metals, metal powders, coatings, or composites.
- Extend hands-on and onsite materials engineering support to design, manufacturing, quality, and manufacturing partners.
- Address materials and process concerns from suppliers, manufacturing, and customers.
- Thorough understanding of the relationship between the structure of materials, their properties and means of processing, and how these factors affect the product end use.
- Review new product plans and make recommendations for material selection based on design objectives, such as strength, weight, heat and chemical resistance, and cost.
- Assist in developing new methods of material testing and characterization, executing material testing plans, and training engineers and lab staff.
- Analyze materials and data, conduct tests, troubleshoot, and monitor performance, ensuring quality control and creating documentation to support
- Characterize materials to resolve failures and product enhancements
- Maintenance of materials knowledge base through research of new materials, methods, and processes
- Knowledge of Design of Experiments (DOE) and statistical analysis techniques
- Assist in designing workable project plans and timelines to reach goals
- Operation of equipment including metal powder blenders, compaction presses, industrial ovens, and ammunition loading equipment.
Skills and Education Required:
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required.
Currently enrolled engineering student (Material or related) in an ABET accredited technical college or university; Jr.-Sr. preferred (graduates are ineligible unless currently enrolled in a graduate degree program).
- LANGUAGE SKILLS
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- MATHEMATICAL SKILLS
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
- REASONING ABILITY
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- OTHER SKILLS AND ACTIVITIES
Must be experienced using computers with word processing, spreadsheets, and familiar with data acquisition systems and software. Programming experience is preferred but not necessary. Training and practical application of advanced statistical skills, such as design of experiments, is preferred.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel objects; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear and smell. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Monday thru Friday schedule (8-hour days)
- Target internship dates: May 2022 - August 2022
We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including: medical and dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401K, PTO, tuition reimbursement, gear discounts and the ability to add value to an exciting mission!
Our Postings are not intended for distribution to or use in any jurisdiction, country or territory where such distribution or use would violate local law or would subject us to any regulations in another jurisdiction, country or territory. We reserve the right to limit our Postings in any jurisdiction, country or territory.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veteran/Disabled
At this time, Vista Outdoor is closely monitoring the developments on the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) COVID-19 workplace rule regarding COVID-19 vaccination or testing. You will not be asked any questions regarding these items during application.
About Vista Outdoor
Vista Outdoor Inc. is a leading global designer, manufacturer and marketer of consumer products in the outdoor sports and recreation markets including Bushnell, Giro, CamelBak, Federal, Bell, Remington, and many more!
Vista employs over 5,000 employees worldwide and has diverse portfolio well-recognized brands that provide a range of performance-driven, high-quality and innovative products, including sporting ammunition, outdoor cooking accessories, ebikes, bike accessories and helmets, outdoor sports optics and golf rangefinders.
Our Purpose: To be known as a passionate outdoor company with the brands, products and culture that unite people around a shared love and responsibility for the outdoors.
Our Vision: To build powerhouse brands that empower people to achieve their goals and live their best outdoor lives.