The Sr. Product Design Engineer is responsible for all matters related to product (firearm) design and transition into production. This includes research and development, design, improvement, problem solving, failure analysis, testing, procedures, internal communication & documentation, supplier interface during development, project management, project budgeting, and product cost tracking.
· Manage product development programs/projects and ensure that safety, cost, quality, and schedule are established and maintained
· Responsible for the development of new product families and expansion of existing product
· Manage various projects supporting internal stage gate development process
· Develop test plans, conduct, manage, and control product testing in support of R&D Quality/Test personnel
· Partner with Product Marketing to write technical product procedures and specifications
· Design and evaluate new products and components
· Generate complex CAD components and mechanisms for new products
· Assess and verify through calculation and/or FEM analysis of required safety and functioning of firearm mechanisms and components of mechanical stress and consequent related expected duration
· Utilize proven and establish problem-solving techniques to generate solutions to design problems and in support of production issues
· Responsible for the development of virtual prototyping capabilities, modeling methods, innovative materials, and technologies
· Forecast, propose, and assess new technologies and materials
· Support innovation through patents, trademarks, design, and authorship’s rights
· Assist in the management of and apply for intellectual property protection as appropriate according to US, European, and International laws, and regulations
· Support strategic objectives and product planning efforts
· Mentor and support engineering staff while overseeing multiple R&D projects and programs
· Generate and maintain Item Definitions and Bills of Materials for products
· Assist and partner with other departments including Quality Assurance, Manufacturing, Supply Chain and Sales with product-related projects, questions and product concerns or issues
· Support efforts to bring about a “design for manufacturing/design to cost” philosophy in developing new products
· Other tasks as assigned
· Knowledge of small arms design and manufacturing methods strongly preferred
· Dimensional and tolerance relationship, tolerance studies, familiar with 3 Sigma design and manufacturing concept
· Knowledge of manufacturing, machining, finishing, and assembly methods/processes required
· Knowledge of material science, familiarity with commonly used materials, related heat treatments, and surface coatings in small arms design
· Comprehension of product development stage gate processes
· Experience with developing project budgets and supporting capital expenditure activities
· Geometric tolerancing (ANSI Y14.5) and advanced drafting skills
· Strong problem-solving abilities
· Advanced mathematical skills required; background in FEM analysis a preferred
· Strong computer and software skills required (PC and CAD); experience with Siemens NX preferred
· Ability to generated indented Bills of Material
· Experience with MRP and ERP systems with integration into factory planning
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Excellent leadership skills and the ability to thrive in a collaborative work environment
· Excellent organizational, presentation, and customer service skills
· Ability and willingness to mentor technical/engineering personnel
· Knowledge and understanding of quality management systems
· Ability to self-manage and prioritize in a demanding environment in support of both developmental and production activities that are critical to business success
· Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology (mechanical/aerospace preferred); or Master's Degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology or equivalent combination of experience and education
· Minimum 10 years practical engineering/design experience in small arms, handgun experience preferred
· CAD experience in two-dimensional drafting and three-dimensional solid design
· Project management experience in a cross-functional environment
· In depth working knowledge of handgun design and function strongly preferred
Work is performed in a professional group office environment as well as laboratory and test range environments. Requires the ability to physically and safely test, evaluate and maintain various firearms including pistols, rifles and shotguns (semiautomatic, bolt action, pump action, fully automatic) including extensive live fire testing. Requires the ability to lift 50 lbs.
Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the U.S.
Beretta USA, Corp. is an EEO/AA employer and committed to creating an environment that values and supports diversity and inclusiveness across our organizations.
Welcome and thank you for your interest in pursuing a career with Beretta U.S.A. Corp. At Beretta we pride ourselves in offering a professional, challenging and exciting work environment where each employee has plenty of opportunities to make a difference and grow with the company.
Since 1526, working at Beretta has meant sharing a passion for what we do, being committed to quality and helping maintain the company on the cutting edge of technology, quality and progress. Therefore, skills, experience, commitment and initiative are all qualities that are appreciated and rewarded at Beretta.
Please take a moment to read about the traditions and the benefits that you would enjoy as a Beretta employee.
We look forward to welcoming you aboard!
Beretta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
More about Beretta's recruiting process Beretta does not accept unsolicited resumes and/or resumes that do not clearly identify any currently open position. Candidates must meet the minimum requirements for the position in order to be considered applicants. Applicants will be contacted only if an interview is in the process of being scheduled. Due to the very high volume of resumes we receive, Beretta does not accept telephone inquiries.
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), should you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a currently open position with Beretta, please call 301-283-2191 ext. 1250 or e-mail us at EmployMe@berettausa.com.
Beretta U.S.A. Benefits HOLIDAYS The company provides 10 paid holidays each year.
PAID SICK DAYS 40 hours of paid sick leave per year (during the first year of employment sick leave is accrued at the rate of 4 hours per month beginning the first month after 30 days of service).
Years of Service Vacation 1-4 years 80 hours 5-9 years 120 hours 10 or more years 160 hours
INSURANCE Beretta provides a comprehensive health insurance package that includes a Medical, Dental, Vision and a Prescription Drug Plan. Benefits begin the first of the month following 3 months of continuous full-time service for non-exempt (hourly) employees and the first of the month following the date of hire for exempt (salaried) employees. Life Insurance is valued at two times the annual base wage. Long and Short-Term Disability Insurance eligibility begins at one year of continuous full-time service.
TUITION REIMBURSEMENT Tuition reimbursement for job related courses are available after 3 months of full-time regular service. Beretta will reimburse 85% tuition, laboratory and registration fees upon successful completion of course for qualified educational programs.
BERETTA USA CORPORATION 401(k) AND PROFIT SHARING PLAN The Plan's 401(k) contributions consist of salary deferral compensations made by employees and a contribution made by Beretta which equals 3% of compensation.
Eligibility All employees of Beretta U.S.A., except leased employees, are eligible to participate in the Plan. You become a participant in the Profit Sharing portion of the Plan on your date of hire. You become a participant in the 401(k) portion of the Plan after you complete 1 year of service.
Years of Service A year of service is a 12 month period in which you have 1000 hours of service.
Profit Sharing Contribution Beretta makes a discretionary contribution based on profits. Employees who complete a year of service during the Plan Year share in the Profit Sharing Contribution.
Beretta U.S.A. Traditions Annual Attendance Lotto After 1 year of service and meeting the attendance qualifications three (3) employees are randomly chosen to receive a monetary award each December.
Turkey Drive As a token of our appreciation each November each employee receives a Turkey to celebrate the Thanksgiving Holiday.
Children's Holiday Party The children of all Beretta U.S.A. employees are invited to attend a Holiday Party given every December at the Beretta U.S.A. Accokeek, MD facility.